Haha. myTunes. Like iTunes. But this is a list of my favorite bands. My taste in music is constantly changing so my “favorite” bands change from week to week. So I guess this isn’t a list of my favorite bands but these are the bands that I have loved for a long time. They kind of range all over the place from alternative rock, to Christian rock, to easy listening. But I like them all!
- Rise Against. This group is classified by the Internet as “American rock punk band” but I don’t know if I really agree with that. I would mostly classify it as rock and I love them. Their songs often are about political issues…so if you’re like me and enjoy really listening to the actual lyrics, you’ll probably like them. And their songs have a really nice beat.
- Evan and Jaron. They are called “Pop Indie rock” and I pretty much agree with that. The band is two identical twin brothers who sing beautiful harmony and catchy songs. They’ve released a few singles that you might know including “Distance” and “From my Head to my Heart.”
- Red. My latest obsessions. I love them. They are pretty much just rock and I think that they sing Christian songs but they aren’t so blatant that you feel like they’re shoving their religion/religious views in your face: it’s more subtle so that you have to actually pay attention to catch what they’re saying. They have the same kind of feeling as Rise Against in my opinion but I love them cause they add more vocal harmony, which I love.
- NEEDTOBREATHE. This is another rock band that’s Christian. They’re a little softer rock than Red and Rise Against but they still have that driving beat that I love. Again, they’re not in your face with the Christianity thing. I love them.
- Billy Joel. If you have not heard of Billy Joel, I would be very surprised. But a lot of people don’t realize how versatile his music really is. He ranges from bluesy rock to pop to barbershop a cappella! I have his album titled “The Essential Billy Joel” and it is a great collection!!
- Gavin DeGraw. I love Gavin DeGraw for his gravelly voice and Soul Rock sound. He’s released several songs on the radio and I am a big fan of his album “Sweeter.” I also like his older stuff but his more recent music has more of the rock beat that I am obviously a fan of.
- Fleetwood Mac. Another oldie but goodie. This group has soooo many songs that you would recognize, especially on their album “Rumors” which is my favorite. While I’m not a fan of Stevie Nicks’ voice when she sings solo, she blends really well with the other band members. Definitely give them a listen.
- Rob Thomas. You probably know him as the lead singer from the band Matchbox 20, which I also like. But when he went solo, he went for songs that were less rock and more singer-songwriter sound. The lyrics of his songs are beautiful and meaningful, versus Matchbox 20’s which were more of party songs. I always love it when artists go on solo careers and sing a different genre of music.
- Michael Buble. His voice is like butter. It’s so smooth, I love it! Only thing is that he mostly does covers of older songs (Sinatra-era) but his original songs are good too. So he’s a modern artist that sings old songs….I don’t really know how to classify him.
- Parachute. They are a “Pop rock band.” Again, they have a good driving beat and nice lyrics. Another group that I’ve liked for several years. I don’t really know what to say about them except that I like them.
If you can’t tell, I love Top 10 lists (and rock music). I feel that it’s the perfect number. It’s enough that you get some cool new things to experiment with but not so many that you get overwhelmed. 10 is such a good number.
Also, this isn’t my favorite song or anything but you should listen to this version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It’s transposed to a minor key and it’s the coolest thing I’ve heard in a long time. The lyrics seem to take on a very different meaning. Plus this dude is a really good singer. He has a couple of other songs but this one varies the most from the original. Check him out.
Are there any other Top 10 lists you want from me? Comment below! I love to hear from you guys.
I have a problem with watching TV. I used to pretend that I was OK because it would take me a few months to finish a series on Netflix so it wasn’t that bad, right? Then I realized that I am usually watching 3 or 4 shows at a time so even though it takes me a few months to finish one series, I’ve finished 2 other series as well. I’ve watched so much TV that I’ve decided to share some of my favorite shows with you.
- BBC Sherlock So I love this show. It’s more like a series of mini-movies but it’s still good. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes. It’s set in London. Each episodes runs for about 1.5 hours. Unfortunately, there are only 9 “episodes” right now and there is a long span between each season. So by the time you catch up, you’ll still have to wait a long time before the next season comes out. You should still watch it because I love it.
- Doctor Who Another British show. This one is sooooo different than Sherlock though. Like, different end of the spectrum. Doctor Who is about a super old alien who travels around space and time rescuing people. If you start watching Doctor Who, you should realize that it’s kinda silly and you just need to accept that. The only problem that I have with this show is that they build up these super complicated, awesome story lines and then the resolution falls a little flat. I think it’s still worth it.
- Scrubs Doctors. Sarcasm. Comedy. What more could you ask for in a show? This series is over and done, sadly. My brother and I watched this series in 5 weeks…there’s 8 seasons…I really have a TV problem. There’s also a ninth season where they tried to reboot the series and there are different characters. I never watched this season because it sounded weird. But the first 8 seasons are wonderful.
- The Office This is another show that is all over. I haven’t finished watching it but I am currently in season 7 and it’s still going pretty strong. This show is awkward. There will be times that you are cringing from all the awkward. It’s just about a bunch of different personalities who work in one office. The only thing is that I hated the first season. I kept watching because my brother told me I should and I’m really glad I did. I love it now.
- Bones This is a show about a forensic anthropologist who uses her smarts to help the FBI with murder investigations where there is nothing left of the bodies except the bones. It’s a pretty cool show because it’s all science-y but it also has romance and humor.
- Parks and Recreation Another comedy. It’s kind of along the same lines of The Office and it’s got Amy Poehler so it’s hilarious. It’s about a bunch of government workers who work in the Parks and Rec department for a small town that isn’t that great. It’s currently got 6 seasons and I think it’s going into it’s 7th pretty soon.
- Monty Python’s Flying Circus Gosh this show is weird. That’s pretty much the only way to describe it. It’s a sketch show and it’s British and it’s just sooooo weird. Half the time, I have no idea what’s going on and I just accept that. It’s a specific kind of humor and if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. But you should give it a try because if you like it, you’ll love it.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender This is such a good show and gets so little notice! It’s about this boy that can control all 4 elements and it’s his job to save the world with the help of friends he meets along the way. It only has 3 seasons but it’s perfect!!! I love the characters and the plot is wonderful and there’s all this development and it’s a cartoon. I haven’t started that new series Legend of Korra but that looks good as well.
- Once Upon A Time This show is still going on but I see it only lasting a little bit longer. They are going into their 4th season but are running out of classic fairy tale characters. It’s been really good though. It’s about this town that is full of fairy tale characters who forget that they are fairy tale characters and they have to be rescued by the “Savior” and then there’s all these crazy adventures with the fairy tale characters. It’s been pretty good but they’re bringing in Elsa next season so they’re clearly running out of steam.
- Psych Another one of my favorite shows. It just recently finished up and I have yet to see the final season, which I think is season 8. It’s about a guy who is so observant that he convinces people that he is psychic and works with the police department to solve crimes. It’s another really funny show.
Those are a lot of the shows that I’ve watched. Most are available on Netflix but some, like Avatar in particular, are not. Hope you’ve discovered some new shows to try out!
I love movies. A lot. And I take any opportunity to reference them or quote them. And it makes me super happy when someone understands my references. This is a list of the ten movies that I quote most often, in no particular order.
- Pirates of the Caribbean. I love this movie and it makes me sad that not everyone gets my constant references. The quotes I use most often are “I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request….means no” and “That would be the French”.
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This movie is hilarious! I can watch it any time. I usually quote “Put some Windex on it” and “What do you mean he don’t eat no meat?!?…That’s ok I make lamb”
- Harry Potter I just take any line from the movies and quote it whenever possible. I don’t know if there are any lines in particular that I use most often but some of my favorite lines are from the first movie. I love to somehow work into the conversation “TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!!! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!!….Thought you ought to know!” and “She needs to sort out her priorities.” I also like to do that line from the sixth movie where Harry says something about the pincers of spiders and does the motion with his hands. That cracks me up.
- Princess Bride This movie is such a classic. I watch it all the time. I usually quote “It’s possible…pig” and “Life’s not fair. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something”
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail Not very many people are familiar with this movie but it is another comedy. It’s British comedy and it’s from Monty Python so it’s really weird. I like it though. I like to quote “You’re mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!” and “Tis but a scratch” and “She turned me into a newt!…I got better” and “now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.” Typing all those out makes me realize how weird this movie really is.
- Hocus Pocus I watch this movie every year on Halloween. It too is one of my favorites. I tend to quote “Amok….Amok! Amok! Amok!” and “Boooooooooooook”
- Disney/Dreamworks/Pixar I know this is a rather broad genre of movies but if I listed every Disney movie I quote, this list would be 5 times as long. I most often sing Disney songs but will also quote “I like that boulder. That’s a nice boulder” (Shrek, Dreamworks) and “You’re a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity” (Toy Story, Pixar) and “Just keep swimming!” (Finding Nemo, Disney)
- Mean Girls My friends and I quote this all the time. It’s usually “She doesn’t even go here”
- Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit I LOVE these movies. I usually quote the line where the hobbits are asking about second breakfast and elevensies and such. That’s a good line. And “Mine. My own. My Precious” and “I needs it!”
- Thoroughly Modern Millie This movie is another good one and if you haven’t seen it, watch it. I tend to quote “Soy sauce!!!” and “Raspberries!” Apparently I just say random foods from this movie but it’s the way you say it.
Bonus Movie: Anchorman I only just watched this movie but I can tell that it’s something I will quote a lot. I’ve already started. I think I’ll usually quote “I love lamp” and “milk was a bad choice” and “Loud noises!!!!”
So that’s a list of the 10 Movie that I Quote Most Often, along with a bonus movie. I love to quote movies so this is not a complete list of movies I quote but it actually covers a lot of the things I quote. I guess I also quote TV shows and sing songs. What kinds of things do you like to quote?
Update on my New Year’s Resolutions:
No makeup: I’m doing well! I haven’t worn any makeup in the last couple of weeks (I started working on this before I told you guys). I’ve wanted to a couple of times but I decided that I needed to be strong.
Messing with my nails: I’m FAILING!!!! It’s so hard. My nails are in terrible shape right now and they’re really painful. But I just keep making them worse. I’m going to try to start taking care of them so that might help. I hope so.
Chewing my lips: I haven’t noticed myself doing that a lot this week but it’s been a relatively stress free school year so far. So I don’t think I can say that I’m doing well or not well with this.
Touching my face: I’m proud of the progress I’ve made with this resolution. Not to say that I haven’t touched my face, but anytime I catch myself doing it, I stop. I think that counts as good progress. Maybe in a couple of weeks I won’t have to stop myself, I just won’t do it in the first place.