I love food. I really do. I love burgers and fries and ice cream and soda and potatoes of any kind and so much more. I want to eat fried food more often than is healthy for me and I have a weak spot for dessert. I can’t help it. It’s just so delicious!
But there are also some fruits and veggies that I love! So I thought that I, a proud “little piggie”, would share some of my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables and my favorite ways to eat them.
- Spinach I really love fresh spinach. I don’t like it when it’s cooked down but when it’s fresh, I could eat it every day. I prefer it instead of lettuce in many cases, including as that little crunch on sandwiches and in salads. In fact, spinach salads are one of my favorite snacks because they are very low-calorie, as long as you don’t load them up with bacon and cheese. My current favorite spinach salad is topped with bananas and raspberry-walnut vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is low-calorie and super sweet so combined with the bananas and spinach, you get a healthy and delicious snack! Also, we have a peanut sauce recipe (which I cannot find right now…sorry!) that is a good alternate topping with the bananas.
- Peaches A good peach in the middle of the summer is so refreshing. We like to get them from a local fresh market. Besides eating them plain and raw, I also like to cut them up into little pieces and put them on top of some plain Cheerios (and milk).
- Green Beans Not canned. I’m not a big fan of canned but fresh green beans are really good. My mom likes to bake them in the oven along with some cherry tomatoes so you get the sweet taste of the tomatoes with the green beans. We also have put the green beans in a pot with some home-made chicken broth and potatoes. It may not sound super healthy but as long as you pile on the green beans and take it easy with the potatoes, it’s not too bad for you. Plus it tastes really good.
- Apples For the record, an apple a day does not keep the doctor away. I eat an apple everyday for lunch and yet I still get sick a lot. But I do love apples. I prefer to just eat them plain. I don’t cut them up or anything. Just a whole, plain apple for lunch everyday. I’m sorry I don’t have any special ways to eat these.
- Cauliflower The unsung hero among vegetables. I recently discovered this wonderful vegetable. I enjoy it when we roast it and then throw it in the food processor. This makes a nice copy-cat mashed potato…thing. It’s really nice in the winter with some meatloaf and broccoli.
- Tomatoes I know that you guys are familiar with tomatoes but I’ll tell you some of my favorite ways to eat them. There’s the usual slicing it up and putting it on sandwiches, but I like to salt them then because it brings out the tomato flavor and just makes the whole sandwich better. Also, home-made salsa and bruschetta is pretty easy. Just slice up the tomatoes and add the seasonings. Look it up. They’re so easy to make.
A list with six things. That’s weird. Like, why couldn’t I just stop at five? Or go all the way to ten? It’s bothering me too. I really can’t think of any more fresh fruits and vegetables that are so wonderful that I must share with you. But I can’t think of any on the list already that I don’t want you to know about.
Also, now that I’ve gotten through that phase where I want to write a post every day, I will have a more even posting schedule. I’m thinking once a week, usually Saturdays or Sundays. One more thing for you to look forward to on the weekend. You’re welcome.