Haha. myTunes. Like iTunes. But this is a list of my favorite bands. My taste in music is constantly changing so my “favorite” bands change from week to week. So I guess this isn’t a list of my favorite bands but these are the bands that I have loved for a long time. They kind of range all over the place from alternative rock, to Christian rock, to easy listening. But I like them all!
- Rise Against. This group is classified by the Internet as “American rock punk band” but I don’t know if I really agree with that. I would mostly classify it as rock and I love them. Their songs often are about political issues…so if you’re like me and enjoy really listening to the actual lyrics, you’ll probably like them. And their songs have a really nice beat.
- Evan and Jaron. They are called “Pop Indie rock” and I pretty much agree with that. The band is two identical twin brothers who sing beautiful harmony and catchy songs. They’ve released a few singles that you might know including “Distance” and “From my Head to my Heart.”
- Red. My latest obsessions. I love them. They are pretty much just rock and I think that they sing Christian songs but they aren’t so blatant that you feel like they’re shoving their religion/religious views in your face: it’s more subtle so that you have to actually pay attention to catch what they’re saying. They have the same kind of feeling as Rise Against in my opinion but I love them cause they add more vocal harmony, which I love.
- NEEDTOBREATHE. This is another rock band that’s Christian. They’re a little softer rock than Red and Rise Against but they still have that driving beat that I love. Again, they’re not in your face with the Christianity thing. I love them.
- Billy Joel. If you have not heard of Billy Joel, I would be very surprised. But a lot of people don’t realize how versatile his music really is. He ranges from bluesy rock to pop to barbershop a cappella! I have his album titled “The Essential Billy Joel” and it is a great collection!!
- Gavin DeGraw. I love Gavin DeGraw for his gravelly voice and Soul Rock sound. He’s released several songs on the radio and I am a big fan of his album “Sweeter.” I also like his older stuff but his more recent music has more of the rock beat that I am obviously a fan of.
- Fleetwood Mac. Another oldie but goodie. This group has soooo many songs that you would recognize, especially on their album “Rumors” which is my favorite. While I’m not a fan of Stevie Nicks’ voice when she sings solo, she blends really well with the other band members. Definitely give them a listen.
- Rob Thomas. You probably know him as the lead singer from the band Matchbox 20, which I also like. But when he went solo, he went for songs that were less rock and more singer-songwriter sound. The lyrics of his songs are beautiful and meaningful, versus Matchbox 20’s which were more of party songs. I always love it when artists go on solo careers and sing a different genre of music.
- Michael Buble. His voice is like butter. It’s so smooth, I love it! Only thing is that he mostly does covers of older songs (Sinatra-era) but his original songs are good too. So he’s a modern artist that sings old songs….I don’t really know how to classify him.
- Parachute. They are a “Pop rock band.” Again, they have a good driving beat and nice lyrics. Another group that I’ve liked for several years. I don’t really know what to say about them except that I like them.
If you can’t tell, I love Top 10 lists (and rock music). I feel that it’s the perfect number. It’s enough that you get some cool new things to experiment with but not so many that you get overwhelmed. 10 is such a good number.
Also, this isn’t my favorite song or anything but you should listen to this version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It’s transposed to a minor key and it’s the coolest thing I’ve heard in a long time. The lyrics seem to take on a very different meaning. Plus this dude is a really good singer. He has a couple of other songs but this one varies the most from the original. Check him out.
Are there any other Top 10 lists you want from me? Comment below! I love to hear from you guys.